If you have a passion for skiing and/or snowboarding, along with a desire to work in the outdoor industry with one of the largest mountain resort companies in North America, and you have retail buying experience…this just might be the job for you.
Boyne Resorts is in search of an experienced Retail Buyer to lead our buying team responsible for 30+ storefronts across our 11 resorts throughout North America, spanning from Maine to British Columbia.
Not only will you be responsible for the winter and summer hardgoods buys, ranging from skis and snowboards to stand up paddleboards and kayaks, but you will also be expected to travel to our resorts to work with the retail teams, attend industry events and yes…enjoy some skiing, snowboarding and resort amenities.
We are lucky. We combine ‘work and play’ on a regular basis.
Regarding the ‘work’ part. The Retail Buyer will report to the Senior Vice President of Retail and Rentals and will work closely with our merchandising team, website team and retail managers to drive our best-in-class and industry-leading product selection. This important position is responsible for our vendor relationships, product order planning, sales strategies, recognizing trends and new products, attending shows, travel to stores and resorts, and much more.
This is a full-time year-round position with medical benefits, 401(k) plan with company match, paid time off, and access to our incredible outdoor playgrounds and resort services and amenities for you and your family.
Essential duties and responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Develop Sales Strategies
- Analyze Customer Needs
- Assess Suppliers
- Order Products
- Maintain Inventory
- Research and Anticipate Sales Trends
- Work with Vendors
- Perform Budget Analyses
- Modify purchase orders according to seasonality, availability, and demand.
- Solving problems that may arise with merchandise and/or supplier.
- Following current trends and anticipating changes in the market.
- Attending shows, seminars, and vendor meetings to learn about the new and upcoming products.
- Participating in on snow product demos.
Job Qualifications and Experience (some combination of the following):
- Proven experience as a retail buyer or relevant role
- Resort or retail industry background preferred
- Passion for skiing and/or snowboarding
- Outstanding communication, organization, and time management skills
- Being resourceful, energetic, and displaying a strong desire to take initiative.
- Being proactive and able to work under pressure while handling tight deadlines.
- Great attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrable aptitude in effective negotiating
- Up to speed with purchasing best practices
- Familiarity with market research, data analysis and forecasting techniques
A flexible work schedule is necessary. Maintaining and office at the retail warehouse in Wixom, Michigan is desired. When working remotely, an office environment equipped to perform daily job functions and free of distractions is expected. Travel to resort locations and industry events is required.
Boyne Resorts, founded in 1947 by Everett Kircher, is one of the largest mountain resort companies in North America by total skier visits. A Michigan-based corporation, Boyne Resorts owns and operates award-winning mountain and golf resorts and attractions throughout the United States and Canada including Cypress Mountain near Vancouver, B.C.; Sugarloaf and Sunday River Resort in Maine; Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands, Inn at Bay Harbor – Autograph Collection resorts and Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark in Michigan; Big Sky Resort in Montana; Loon Mountain Resort in New Hampshire; Gatlinburg SkyLift Park in Tennessee; Brighton Resort in Utah; and The Summit at Snoqualmie in Washington.